Join the Tuttle’s Crew
Looking for a fun job this fall?
Every fall Tuttles hires a crew of people to help with the fall season. We being the process of hiring this crew in mid-August during our interview days. Fall positions run from early September through late October.
What you can expect working at Tuttles?
- Fun, family friendly work environment (Tuttle’s guests are a great bunch to work for…lots of fun! Flexible hour part time positions are great for stay at home moms, high school students, etc.)
- Flexible, part time positions (although Saturdays are required for most positions as this is one of our busiest days.)
- Sundays Off (We are also closed on Sundays providing staff an opportunity to spend the day with their families.)
- Hard working, fast paced environment (we are a farm…so we believe in old fashioned hard work. Days are busy and go fast.)
- Competitive pay for retail environments.
- Diversity (there are lots of things to be done at the orchard. There’s a good chance you won’t be doing the same thing every day).
- Outdoor, varied weather work environment (our employees tell us they love being so close to nature. Lots of positions (although not all) are working outside. This also means you’ll work in a variety of weather conditions).
We often hear from our fall staff at the end of the season: “This is the funnest job I’ve ever had…and the job where I’ve worked the hardest.”
Ideal Candidate for Tuttle’s Fall Crew (some positions have other requirements):
- Positive attitude and good customer service skills.
- Willingness to work hard.
- Strong desire to do what it takes to help Tuttle’s guests have a positive, fun experience.
- Initiative. Ability to see ways to help guests have a great experience and take proactive steps.
- Willingness to work at a variety of tasks in any given day (we believe in cross training and multitasking).
- Ability to do some lifting (most everyone at Tuttle’s bags apples…crates of apples weigh approx 45lbs.)
- Ability to work on their feet and in outside environments for extended periods.
- Availability to work on Saturdays (for most positions).
- Be at least 16 years old (18 years old for a few positions).
- Have a desire for a part time position for a few months. Great job options for stay at home moms, high school students, retired adults, those in job transition, those looking for supplemental income on Saturdays)
Fall Seasonal Positions included:
- Farm Store Crew Assist customers in our farm store with their purchases. Prepare apples for sale. Stock shelves (weekday and Saturday hours; part-time).
- U-pick/Outdoor Activities Crew: Direct customers to the appropriate apple and pumpkin u-pick areas. Answer questions, tally orders, receive tickets for play area, maze, hayrides, and restock items. Assist tour staff with school groups as needed. (weekday and Saturday hours; part-time)
- Concessions Crew: Help prepare and sell all the tasty fall treats including corn on the cob, caramel apples, cider slushies, and more. (Thursday, Friday, Saturday hours)
- Field Trip Crew: Be trained in apple and pumpkin production in order to lead tours of elementary and preschool children through the facilities. Preference is given to applicants with a teaching experience, but we also provide in depth training for this position for those who are not licensed teachers. Great job for moms who want to work while kids are in school or retired teachers. (weekdays 9-2).
- Afternoon Produce Picking/Washing Crew: Assist with picking and washing pumpkins and gourds. Sort apples for sale. Two afternoons a week (4-7) and Saturdays.
- Apple Sorting/Cider Making Crew: Assist with washing and sorting apples for retail sale. Assist with production of cider including dumping apples, checking apples, jugging cider.This position involves lifting of 50 lbs of apples on a consistent basis. Weekdays; can be full or part time for Sep/Oct. ICE students wanting to work 7-10AM hours can apply for this position.
- Apple Picking Crew: Be a part of the crew that picks the apples off the trees. This position involves lifting of 50 lbs of apples on a consistent basis. Weekdays 8-5; full time position for Sep/Oct.
- Parking Attendants: Assist with directing cars on Saturdays. Must be over 18 years old for this position. Saturdays Only.
- Hayride Driver: Drive tractor pulling trailing to pumpkin patch. Must have LOTS of prior experience with manual & hydrostatic tractors and strong safety consciousness. Must be 18 years or older for this position. (weekday morning and Saturday)
Tuttles does almost all hiring for these positions during a couple interview days in August. If you want to work at Tuttles, we strongly encourage you to come one of these days. Dates are posted in July each year. Please print this:
and bring it with you completed to one of the below days. These days are held at our Farm Store (5717 North 300 West, Greenfield, IN 46140).
2014 Interview Days: to be published July 2014.
Applications only accepted during the above times.
Are there jobs available during other times of the year?
We hire almost all of our staff in the fall season. Positions available for holiday, spring, and fall seasons are filled from fall staff from the previous seasons who demonstrate aptitude and are a good fit with the Tuttle’s culture. Positions for other seasons are limited and almost entirely part time. If you have a desire to work at Tuttles in other seasons, we suggest you join us for a fall season to see if Tuttle’s might be a good fit for you. We do not accept applications in other seasons of the year.
What if I am not available to attend the interview days?
If you are not able to come during the above listed times, you may come by the farm store before that time to leave your application, and ask to make an appointment with Helen. It is important to bring your application the week before the interview days. Do not wait until after those dates. Do NOT send applications or resumes by email or fax. Applications are only accepted in person. Priority will be given to applicants who apply during the above dates. Additional applications will only be considered if openings are still available after that time.
I have applied for a fall position, when will I hear back?
Because of the large number of applicants we typically receive, Tuttles only contacts applicants who will be called back for a second interview for positions. You should expect to hear something by Labor Day at the latest if you are being considered. However, sometimes we continue to hire into September if we find the season is a busy one. We are sorry, we typically receive more qualified applicants then we can hire.
I don’t know a lot about apples, does Tuttles provide training?
Yes, we provide several trainings to our seasonal staff including “Apple Class” where you will become an expert in all things apple. Tour guides will receive several days of extensive training to prepare them for leading groups through the orchard. Paid training is required to work at Tuttles.
I have applied for a position in the past, should I apply again?
We often have more qualified applicants then we can hire so if you have applied in the past and were not called for a position and would still like to work at Tuttles, please apply again. Keep in mind that Saturday availability is important for many positions.
I have worked at Tuttles in the past, should I reapply?
If you have worked at Tuttles in a past season and would like to return to work at Tuttles, please complete the availability page of the application and return it to Helen or Ruth Ann before or during the interview days. It is important to contact us before the interview days. Please do not wait until September to contact us. Please note: Tuttles reevaluates all positions each year. Employment in the past does not guarantee employment in future seasons. However, many Tuttles employees return year after year to the fall season.
How long will these positions last?
Typically fall positions end the later part of October.