Scalloped Turnips – A way to give turnips a chance.
Giving Turnips a Try with Scalloped Turnips
Turnips are in fact one of those vegetables that are not the most popular. I’ll admit I’ve made some pretty not good turnip recipes, but this one is one I’d make again. It’s like a twist on the scalloped potatoes…only made with turnips. Adapted from the Pioneer Women.
What you Need:
- 3 Turnips
- 1 Package of Gruyere Cheese shredded, for me it was about 1 1/2 cups (you could use swiss cheese as well for this one I think)
- 4 Tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper
What to Do:
- Peel the turnips and slice them into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Get a medium to large oven proof skillet and melt 2 tbs of butter in the bottom.
- Place a single layer of turnips on top of the butter.
- On top of turnips sprinkle 1/4 tsp garlic, a splash of cream, a splash of chicken broth, and sprinkle half of the grated cheese on top.
- Repeat this layer again so you have another layer of turnips, cream, broth, and cheese.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top.
- Put the whole skillet in the oven for about 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool a bit before serving.